Is the PSM for me?
THE ILLINOIS PSM IS FOR THOSE WHO
- seek careers in industry, government, or business
- are interested in science and management
- are looking for a competitive edge in the job market
HOW IS THE PSM DIFFERENT FROM OTHER DEGREES?
- more science (or mathematics) than an MBA
- more business than a traditional graduate degree in science or mathematics
- connections with industry leaders through the industry seminar series
- “real world” project and team experience through a required internship
DOES THE PSM QUALIFY FOR OPT STEM EXTENSION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS?
- all current PSM majors qualify for the STEM extension for Optional Practical Training
Combining advanced education in science and business with an Illinois PSM means connecting some of the highest-ranking science and business programs in the world.
Illinois sets the standard for innovative, world-class education with
- 22 Nobel Prize faculty and alumni winners,
- Over 41,000 students and 3,000 faculty members,
- one of the largest and finest public university libraries in the world,
- 150 affiliate centers and institutes performing cutting-edge research,
- over 600,000 alumni, including 17 Pulitzer Prize winners and 158 Guggenheim Fellows, and
- the on-campus Research Park hosting major companies such as Abbott, ADM, Caterpillar, and State Farm.
WHY GRADUATES CHOSE THE ILLINOIS PSM*
"I can have the opportunity to explore more across sub-discipline of my major."
"I realized there was a need for someone with this specialty and it would set me apart."
"My position and career interests didn't involve R&D. I valued the science + business aspect of this program."
"I liked that it was only 3 semesters, included an internship, and writing a thesis wasn't necessary."
*Quotes taken from the 2012 Illinois PSM Program-wide Assessment: Third Semester Survey.